Monday, September 21, 2009

Challenge #1: Hummus

Ok, so here's where I admit I am going to be playing fast and loose with my own rules. Ohsnap's challenge was to make homemade hummus with veggies. Instead I made soup.

It's not that I hated the challenge--far from it--but I've made hummus before. Since part of the reason I am doing this is to make myself do new culinary things I figured I would take that idea and make it more difficult/new. So: hummus soup.

I'll give my recipe, so to speak, at the end of the post, but before I begin I should tell you not to follow it. It's not that the soup was bad, per se, it just didn't blow me away. It was a little bland, frankly, and not as creamy as I would have liked. Cutting down on the broth would help, but I was really hoping for something more like chickpea mulligatawny soup, which this wasn't.

That said, it was fun to try and a good side salad and pita bread for dipping meant that this meal didn't go to waste.







Hummus Soup:
1 15 ounce can of chickpeas (or 15 ounces of dried chickpeas, if you're that prepared)
6 cups of broth (HIGHLY recommended that you lower this for a creamier soup
3 cloves of garlic
A pinch of Tumeric
2 punches of Cumin
A pinch of Coriander
1 lemon, juiced
1 cup of yogurt

1) Boil chickpeas in broth, with spices, for about an hour (if canned, more if not)
2) Combine chickpeas, broth, garlic and lemon in a food processor
3) Reheat and whisk through with the yogurt
4) Serve!

1 comment: